- Use the 3L valuation set for reference-case analyses.
- If data were gathered using the EQ-5D-5L descriptive system, reference-case analyses should calculate utility values by mapping the 5L descriptive system data onto the 3L valuation set.
- If analyses use data gathered using both EQ-5D-3L and EQ-5D-5L descriptive systems, use the 3L valuation set to derive all utility values, with 5L mapped onto 3L where needed.
- Whilst several mapping functions are available (Hernandez Alava et al. 2017), for consistency with the current guide to the methods of technology appraisal, the mapping function developed by van Hout et al. (2012) should be used for reference-case analyses.
- NICE supports sponsors of prospective clinical studies continuing to use the 5L version of EQ-5D descriptive system to collect data on quality of life.
Further explanation is available here.